Saturday, September 16, 2006

Project time has arrived! Yay!

Hello, sorry its been so long since my last update... been very busy!

UNI NEWS FIRST!
My project supervisor finally let us start! It was supposed to be Thursday of the week before, but he postponed until Monday 11th. Not that i was surprised. I should have started my project in June.... I wanted to start my project in June..... I had told work I was leaving, and had arranged to move to start my project in June! Grr! oh well, c'est la vie!

But, Monday arrived.... and I had no email telling me that it was postponed so I set off for university! Its about 30 mins away. I got there, and just walked through the front doors.... the security man held it open for me!.... so much for security during the holidays!

My project is a microbiology related one, so I get to have lots of fun growing bugs! I can't say too much about it because of possible uses to companies at a later date.

The first day was just media preparation (for agar plates), and lab safety lectures..... I was instructed on how to use the autoclave three times, then given written instructions. Not that I'm complaining, an autoclave can be dangerous what with the high temperatures and pressure... and I'm scared! nah, seriously, its perfectly safe if used correctly. hehe!

Tuesday was actual microbio work.... practising techniques..... I thought I was doing so well, until.....

Wednesday, when I realised I had forgotten to dry the plates before spreading the bugs.... resulting in a bacterial lawn instead of the individual colonies I wanted. Opps! So, repeated the test again on Wednesday, and prepared more plates in the afternoon ready for use on Friday.

Thursday, went in briefly to check my plates for growth... Success! Individual colonies!

Friday, I checked with my supervisor that all was good to start a prelim-test... he said yes... so I did the first section of a time-course study. I'm so excited that I finally got to start my project! now, if only I can keep the enthusiasm up for the next 15 weeks!

erm... I should admit I had one slight "accident"..... I set fire to a beaker of 70% ethanol. opps! While sterilising my spreading rod, I dipped it in the ethanol.... flamed it in a busen flame to remove the ethanol.... realised I didn't need it straight away, so put it back in the ethanol. The rod must have had some ignited ethanol on it.... its a clear flame, so you don't see it. I thought it was odd when the plastic spreading rod started to melt! hmm, will try not to do that again! I have never set something on fire that has a clear flame, so it was a new (and interesting) experience for me!


RUNNING NEWS
Only got two runs in this week, should be able to fit more in next week.... I think the key is to take my running stuff to uni with me so i can go running after uni, but before i go home. Genius!

Both runs were 3.1 miles.... both at 5.8mph.... both followed by elliptical for 20 mins. Definitely have to go more next week. I seem to go crazy if i don't work out 4 times a week minimum.

Got in long walks and core exercises and sit-ups (boo hiss!) on other days, but i don't count that stuff as proper.

*E* did her first 5K run at the gym this week. She wasn't too impressed when i stood next to her at 2.99 miles and told her to keep going, but she did it, hurrah!

TaTa
*H*

1 Comments:

Blogger ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I just about died laughing about the test tube fire... I took micro bio too, and I remember lots of times we almost set stuff on fire (usually someone's bookbag) because of the clear flame! Glad to know I'm not the only one who's overlooked that little detail : )

7:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home